· Creates independence and self-sufficiency.
· Alleviates reading insecurities.
· Voices in lastest version are more lifelike!
· Multiple languages! For example, this can be used in French classrooms to translate documents which is so valuable! (English, French, Spanish, German and Italian)
· Can copy and paste documents from word into Kurzweil and vice versa! This is very useful when creating an essay in word as you can use all the features in Kurzweil to help in writing the essay.
· You can create MP3 files from Kurzweil. Then you can read the book or article or chapter on the way home on the bus using your Ipod!
· Assists in verifying accuracy of information transferred from thought to paper.
· Adjustable voice and rate of speed.
· Reads the web
· Right click reveals main toolbars
· Definitions, spell-check, etc
· Can be used from elementary through to post secondary.
· Study skills toolbar can be used in conjunction with a unit on study skills for all students.
· Can highlight and extract text from a document to use as study notes or review.
· Need to consider the computer’s memory: best if used with Windows XP and 256K of RAM (at least).
· Takes time to access (IE: training).
· Doesn’t always properly read the web.
· Scanning and preparing can be very time consuming.
· Sometimes skips a page/section or the page is scanned upside down
· Shaded areas of text don’t always scan properly.
· When using the zoom feature and going to a new page in the document, there is a default zoom that automatically pops up. This may not be the best zoom for the user.
· The features in the study skills toolbar are ghosted out unless there is an open document.
· Tests frustrating due to time constraints and correct placement
Monday, 17 October 2011
Pros and Cons
All software programs have positive and negative aspects. With Kurzweil 3000, the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.